Friday, April 1, 2011

Cigarette Gene?

I'm not sure if all of my readers are aware of this, but there have been a group of article published recently, discussing genes that can lead to smoking risk. On reading the title, I was a little confused, because I always though that smoking was cause by beginning to smoke at a young age, and from there getting an addiction. After reading the article, here's what I found:


There are two sets of genes, that can make a person three times more likely to become a regular smoker in high school and two times as likely to carry it on into adulthood. Now, obviously, one gene is not going to stick a cigarette in your mouth, and the other gene is not going to light up. No, what the genes simply do is create a stronger addiction to smoking, once someone does start smoking. So I guess the simple answer is that if you don't want to become addicted to smoking, Don't Smoke. Scientist are now trying to develop test to tell someone's nicotine suceptibility. I don't really understand the purpose of the test. it seems taht a person that goes to the length to test their nicotine suceptability would have no desire to smoke in the first place. Oh well. if you'd like to read more you can read the full article in Biological Psychiatrist.

-Mister Pip

No comments:

Post a Comment